We have been adding a lot of new subscribers lately at GrantWahl.com, and I want to take the time to thank you for your support (today is the eight-month anniversary of our launch) and let you know about the exciting things we’ve got coming next:
• More coverage of the U.S. cities bidding to host World Cup 2026 games. My story on Friday handicapping the field vying to be among the 10 U.S. host cities drew more paid subscriber interest than any story we’ve done so far. I have already picked up more good info in response to that reporting, and you can be sure I’ll continue covering this story heavily until the mid-June announcement. Look for regular coverage here of the burgeoning business of soccer in the United States, whether it’s World Cup 2026, television rights deals, sponsorships, MLS and NWSL expansion and other soccer business topics. And if you ever have news that you want to share privately with me, my DMs are always open on my Twitter.
• More magazine-quality feature stories. My new feature story from Barcelona on the incredible Barça women’s team is the 21st premium magazine story I have written for the site in eight months. Upcoming stories include my in-depth piece from visiting Venezia FC in Italy and interviewing migrant workers in Qatar about their working conditions at all 14 of the main FIFA hotels in Doha during my trip there. This type of reporting comes at a calculated risk on my part—two Norwegian reporters were recently detained by Qatar for doing journalism there—but I hope it’s the kind of journalism that makes it worth a paid subscription for you.
Fútbol with Grant Wahl is a reader-supported soccer newsletter. Quality journalism requires resources. The best way to support me and my work is by taking out a paid subscription now. Free 7-day trials are available.
• More on-site coverage of big events. I spent the money to be on-site covering all 14 USMNT World Cup qualifiers, and I’ll be in Qatar covering the men’s World Cup later this year. I’m planning to be in Seattle for the CONCACAF Champions League final next week—the chance for an MLS team to make the FIFA Club World Cup for the first time—as long as the Sounders do OK in the opening leg this week at Pumas. I’ll also be on-site covering the USWNT’s World Cup and Olympic qualifying tournament this July in Monterrey, Mexico, and at the women’s World Cup next year in Australia and New Zealand.
• The Friday Newsletter. Every Friday I write a column on a soccer topic and answer your Mailbag questions that I solicit every Thursday. These newsletters are for paid subscribers, while free subscribers can ask Mailbag questions.
• The Interview. Twice a week I interview someone intriguing from the soccer world for my podcast. The audio version of my podcast, including my lively discussions on soccer every Monday and Thursday with co-host Chris Wittyngham, is always free on Apple, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. The written version of the interviews is for paid subscribers.
• My 3 Thoughts. For big games, once or twice a week I’ll write My 3 Thoughts on the match right after the final whistle. It’s fun to hear your thoughts as well in the comments.
We’ll be doing more things in our soccer community here, but after eight months I just wanted to thank you and tell you how excited I am about what’s to come!
I subscribed as soon as you launched and it’s been worth every penny. Daryl and Taylor at TSS first put me on to your work. Thanks for the top notch journalism.
I too am really happy I subscribed! So much great content--loving it. Also psyched you can make it out to Seattle for the big Sounders match on May 4th! I'll be there cheering my butt off. Let us know if you are hosting any kind of pre- or post-match gathering with subscribers--would love to buy you a beer and talk some football ;-)