Give the Gift of Fútbol with Grant Wahl
Or Consider Donating Subscriptions to Readers Who Could Use Them
Hi everyone! I hope you’re enjoying time with family and friends this week (if it’s possible) and that you’re all staying safe. We’re about to start a men’s World Cup year. And with Christmas and other winter holidays happening, I wanted to let you know that you can give gift subscriptions to Fútbol with Grant Wahl. It’s easy, in fact. Just click here:
It’s also possible to donate year-long subscriptions to readers who could use them. I’ll make sure they’re distributed randomly to people who express an interest in subscribing but also say that times are tight for pay subscriptions right now.
And if you’re a free subscriber, consider giving yourself a present and becoming a paid subscriber:
We’re nearly four months into this newsletter, and I want to thank all of you for backing my efforts. The best way to support that work is by taking out a paid subscription. It’s the only way to make this newsletter sustainable. The quality journalism you get in return is extensive!
In less than four months, I’ve done:
• Four ambitious magazine-style features (featuring artwork by Dan Leydon) on the craziest sports story of 2021 (FC Sheriff in the unrecognized Moldovan breakaway republic of Transnistria); the cult-hit Spanish TV debate show El Chiringuito; the marriage of the most globally famous men’s and women’s referees of the past 15 years (Howard Webb and Bibiana Steinhaus-Webb); and American coach Jesse Marsch at Leipzig.
I have another big USWNT-related magazine-style feature coming out the first week of January that I think you’ll really enjoy, as well as another big-adventure international story with the ambition of the Moldova story that I’ll be reporting in January.
• Eight magazine-style stories (with more Leydon artwork) on every one of the USMNT World Cup qualifiers. I’m on-site for each of these stories, which have USMNT content you won’t see elsewhere, and I can’t wait to cover the last six U.S. World Cup qualifiers on-site starting in late January.
• A magazine-style story from Portland, Ore., on New York City’s victory over the Timbers in the MLS Cup final. I’ll plan to do these on-site stories in the future on the MLS and NWSL finals.
• 35 podcast episodes. My twice-weekly audio podcast episodes are always free, and they always include at least one good interview with a wide variety of figures from the soccer world. Paid subscribers also get access to the written Q&A versions of my interviews. We have also had a really good response to our instant-reaction podcast episodes to every USMNT World Cup qualifier with me, Landon Donovan and Chris Wittyngham.
• 56 free posts. We’ll always have free posts on the site in addition to the higher-end magazine-style stories that are behind the paywall. These will usually include My 3 Thoughts on USMNT qualifiers and games of the week; opinion and mailbag columns; breaking news; and conversation-starter posts with our community.
I have had an absolute blast doing this newsletter and having the independence to pursue doing quality stuff. That’s going to continue in 2022, and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you going along on the journey with me. Happy holidays!